Owl Scholars Program
Starfish — a new platform managed by the Owl Scholars team — is a tool that seeks to streamline communication between faculty, students and support services on campus.
Learn more about this new tool by selecting a topic.
What is Starfish?
Starfish allows faculty to provide timely and direct feedback to students on academic progress in their course(s), while connecting students to campus resources that will help maintain or improve their class standing—all in one online hub!
Students and faculty can also use Starfish to ask questions, submit referrals, or request assistance from a number of campus resources, saving time running around from office to office in between classes.
Starfish Pilot Phase
Fall 2017 marks the start of phase one of the Starfish project. Thus, Starfish will pilot in certain classes in the basic skills pathway (including some courses that are not basic skills).
If you are an instructor or student not affiliated with one of the pilot courses, you will not have access to Starfish right now.
For a full listing of those courses, please visit our Owls Scholar homepage.
Key Features of Starfish
Starfish Tracking Items/Alerts
Alerts raised in the Starfish system will generate an email/text to the student encouraging them to login to follow up on the tracking item.
Starfish allows users to raise four main alerts:
- Kudos (to recognize good work and effort)
- Flags (to encourage students to seek additional support for their class)
- Referrals (to campus resources)
- To-Do's (actionable items to be completed by students)
In Starfish, faculty and staff can enable the appointment feature to set up office hours scheduling for students online.
- Save time emailing back and forth to confirm availability!
- Track cancellations and no-shows, and keep notes on topics covered in your appointments.
- Appointments generate an outlook meeting invite that populates on work calendars when accepted.
- Use Starfish to set appointments with members of our Owl Scholars team!
Services and Support Networks
- Starfish holds a catalog of important resources that students should know about and engage with during their educational journey here at Foothill.
- The system also identifies certain resources and points of support that are most relevant to students based on classes they are actively enrolled in, or programs they belong to--making access to a wide array of support available at a click of the mouse!
How To Use Starfish
Faculty and Staff
The Owl Scholars Team provides Starfish tutorials for faculty and staff in written and video format through Canvas.
For in-person training, please contact Adrienne Hypolite at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please check out this video to learn the basics of how to navigate Starfish.
- To access Starfish, log in to MyPortal, and click on the "Students" tab.
- Scroll down to find the Starfish link on the bottom left side of the page.
All trainings start on the hour and are subject to cancellation. Please continue to check our website for updates.
- Follow the link to sign up for a training listed: http://bit.ly/2yKtAQv
- To schedule an individual training, please contact the Owl Scholars program at 650.949.7003.
|Wednesday||Oct. 4||6403||1–2 p.m.|
|Friday||Oct. 6||6403||Noon–1 p.m. & 1–2 p.m.|
|Tuesday||Oct. 10||6403||10:30–11:30 a.m.|
|Thursday||Oct. 12||6403||10:30–11:30 a.m.|
|Friday||Oct. 13||6403||Noon–1 p.m. & 1–2 p.m.|
|Monday||Oct. 23||6403||1–2 p.m.|
|Tuesday||Oct. 31||6403||10:30–11:30 a.m.|