International Students Admissions
English Language Proficiency Requirements
You must be able to speak, read, write and understand English to successfully complete college work in the United States.
Proof of Proficiency
The most common examinations accepted as proof of English proficiency from international students are TOEFL and IELTS.
Note: Results more than two years old will not be accepted.
TOEFL: Minimum requirement of 61 iBT or 500 PBT
- Foothill's TOEFL code is 4315.
iTEP : Minimum requirement of Level 4
- Foothill College is an official iTEP Test Center. Make an appointment to take iTEP at Foothill
IELTS: Minimum requirement of 6.0
Step Eiken: Minimum requirement of 2A
Pearsons PTE Academic: Minimum requirement of 45
Cambridge English: Minimum requirement of 175 on Advanced exam
Duolingo: Minimum requirement of 50
GTEC CBT: Minimum requirement of 1100.
Language School Partners and Conditional Admission Requirements/Procedures
TOEFL and IELTS Waivers
English proficiency can be demonstrated by meeting one of the following conditions instead of demonstrating a TOEFL or an IELTS score.
We do not guarantee waivers and must review the application in order to make a decision.
- Earned a high school diploma, or studied for a minimum of 3 years and attained a grade of "C" or better in English in one of the English speaking countries (U.S., U.K., Canada and Australia).
- Earned a high school diploma in an International School or similar, where English is the primary language of instruction. You must submit school transcripts and other documentation, such as a letter on school's letterhead, stating that English was the primary language of instruction.
- Completed all years of study in a school in Singapore with grades of “C” or higher.
- Completed all years of study in a school in Scandinavian countries and received grades of "VG" or "MVG" in English A and B.
- Completed college-level English classes at a U.S. college or university with grades of “C” or higher. You must provide an official transcript to receive this waiver.
- Received a degree from a college or university in the U.S., the U.K., Canada or Australia. You must provide an official transcript to receive this waiver.
- Completed a specified level at the following partner English language schools:
|PARTNER ENGLISH LANGUAGE SCHOOL||LEVEL COMPLETED|
|American Academy of English:||Advanced Level or University Readiness Program (URP)|
|EC San Francisco English School||Upper Intermediate B2|
|EF International Language Schools||Level 6 or higher|
|ELS Language Centers||Level 109 or higher|
|Embassy CES: Advanced Level|
|Golden Gate Language School||Level 12|
|ILSC Education Group||Academic Preparation Level A2|
|Institute for International Studies at Mission College||Level D in the LINK Program|
|International Gateways at SJSU||Level 600|
|Intrax International Institute||Level 9|
|Kaplan Aspect||Advanced level|
|The American Language Center at UCLA Extension||Level 105|
Questions?We're Here to Help!
International Student Programs Office
Administration Building 1900 Room 1933
Overseas Applicant Deadlines