Travel Documents
In order to re-enter the U.S. after a temporary absence such as a vacation, you must have the following documents:
  • a passport, valid at least six months into the future
  • a valid F-1 visa in your passport
    (If your F-1 visa has expired, please follow specific instructions in the dropdown link below.
  • a valid I-20 with a valid re-entry signature
  • copies of your financial support documents
  • college transcripts
For a detailed description of important immigration documents that you should have with you whenever you travel and their validity requirements, check our Immigration Documents section.
Click on the dropdown links below for detailed information about:
Travel Signature on I-20
Check your I-20 to make sure that it is signed for travel and re-entry on the bottom of page 3 by the international student advisor. The signature for re-entry is valid for no more than six months.

If the I-20 is not signed for travel, or if the signature will be more than 6 months old at the time of your expected return to the US, you must request another signature.

Please stop by the International Student Office to drop off your I-20 for a travel signature.

Hide Text

If Your F-1 Visa is Expired
Make sure to check the F-1 visa stamp in your passport to see if your visa has expired. Also check your visa stamp for the number of entries permitted.

Remember that if your visa is expired or if you change your visa status while in the United States (for example, if you changed your status from F-2 to F-1 since the visa was issued), it is not necessary to apply for a new F-1 visa if you are not planning to travel and re-enter the United States.

If you are planning to travel outside of the United States, immigration regulations state that students cannot re-enter the U.S. to continue their education if their F-1 visa is expired (see exceptions in Automatic Visa Revalidation). This rule applies even if the student has an official acceptance document I-20 that has not expired and has a valid travel signature. In such cases if students depart from the U.S., they must obtain a new visa at a U.S. Embassy outside of the U.S.

Make sure to check out general visa application requirements, such as SEVIS fee, visa interview and financial documentation, posted for students seeking initial attendance at Foothill College. [Prospective students>Visa Application] Additionally, students seeking re-entry to continue their studies at Foothill may need to present their official transcripts at the visa interview. Some consulates may want to see that you have been maintaining valid F-1 status in the U.S. and that you have been making satisfactory progress in your program.Hide Text

Waiting Period for Students from 24 Countries
Automatic Visa Revalidation: Visits to Canada, Mexico and Islands

Documents to Enter Canada, Mexico and Adjacent Islands

Applying for a New Visa in Canada or Mexico
Statement about 120-day suspension of refugee programs and a 90-day ban on travel to the U.S. (PDF)
140 FHDA international students accepted to UCLA, 94 to UC Berkeley, 344 to UC San Diego, 385 to UC Davis for Fall 2015; 72 to USC for Fall 2014! Our students were also accepted to MIT, Stanford, Columbia, Yale, Purdue, NYU, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and more!

International student featured in International Educator magazine article on 2+2 transfer success

Received Export Achievement Award from the U.S. Dept. of Commerce in 2012

Find out more about our Transfer Agreements(pdf).

Foothill is now an
iTEP Test Center.
Instead of TOEFL/IELTS,
Take iTEP for admission.