Changing to F-1 Status

To apply for a change of status from your current immigration status to F-1 status, you will need to file a petition with the USCIS Service Center. Some changes may be more difficult than others. Please consult with an international student advisor before filing your change of status application.
Individuals in most non-immigrant categories are permitted to apply for a change of status to F-1 in the U.S.
Individuals in the following non-immigrant categories are not permitted to change to F-1 in the U.S.:
  • M-1 students
  • C, D and K non-immigrants
  • WT and WB visa waivers
  • J-1 non-immigrants subject to 212 (e) two-year foreign residency requirement
  • J-1 physicians admitted to receive graduate medical education and training
Individuals in F-2, B-1 or B-2 status are eligible to apply for a change of status to F-1 but cannot enroll in classes until the change of status has been approved by the USCIS.
Procedure for Requesting a Change of Status
For specific instructions, please consult with an international student advisor at Foothill.
Statement about 120-day suspension of refugee programs and a 90-day ban on travel to the U.S. (PDF)
140 FHDA international students accepted to UCLA, 94 to UC Berkeley, 344 to UC San Diego, 385 to UC Davis for Fall 2015; 72 to USC for Fall 2014! Our students were also accepted to MIT, Stanford, Columbia, Yale, Purdue, NYU, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and more!

International student featured in International Educator magazine article on 2+2 transfer success

Received Export Achievement Award from the U.S. Dept. of Commerce in 2012

Find out more about our Transfer Agreements(pdf).

Foothill is now an
iTEP Test Center.
Instead of TOEFL/IELTS,
Take iTEP for admission.