Getting a Social Security Number
If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), you will need to apply for it, since U.S. federal law requires everyone employed in the U.S. to have an SSN. You must file your application for an SSN immediately after being offered a job. There is no fee charged for an SSN application.
SSN Application Procedure
  1. Gather the required application materials:
    • Follow steps 1-3 in Procedure Before Starting On-Campus Job: Without SSN and obtain two letters verifying your employment and valid F-1 status — one from your department/office and one from the International Student Office.
    • Current Foothill I-20, passport, visa and I-94 card (originals).
  2. Apply for a Social Security Card in person at the following office:
    Social Security Administration
    700 East El Camino Real, Suite 350
    Mountain View, CA 94040
    Hours: 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m,. Monday–Friday

    View Larger Map
  3. Complete Form SS-5 to apply for a Social Security Card. In item # 3 you should mark the box for "Legal Alien Allowed to Work."
  4. Bring your SSN card to the Financial Aid office to be added to Foothill's payroll.
Please note that it will take about two weeks to receive the Social Security Card. However, it may take up to eight weeks if the Social Security Administration has difficulty obtaining verification of your immigration status from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
Statement about 120-day suspension of refugee programs and a 90-day ban on travel to the U.S. (PDF)
140 FHDA international students accepted to UCLA, 94 to UC Berkeley, 344 to UC San Diego, 385 to UC Davis for Fall 2015; 72 to USC for Fall 2014! Our students were also accepted to MIT, Stanford, Columbia, Yale, Purdue, NYU, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and more!

International student featured in International Educator magazine article on 2+2 transfer success

Received Export Achievement Award from the U.S. Dept. of Commerce in 2012

Find out more about our Transfer Agreements(pdf).

Foothill is now an
iTEP Test Center.
Instead of TOEFL/IELTS,
Take iTEP for admission.