Off-Campus Employment

Employment is considered off-campus if it is not located on the campus of the school/university that issued your I-20.
There are three types of off-campus employment: Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), and Economic Hardship Employment.
F-1 students are not eligible for any type of off-campus employment until they have been in the U.S. for nine consecutive months in lawful F-1 status.
In order to apply for authorization to be able to participate in any type of practical training, you are required to attend a workshop before meeting with the international student advisor.
Click on the links below to learn about required preparation
for off-campus employment.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Economic Hardship Employment
Statement about 120-day suspension of refugee programs and a 90-day ban on travel to the U.S. (PDF)
140 FHDA international students accepted to UCLA, 94 to UC Berkeley, 344 to UC San Diego, 385 to UC Davis for Fall 2015; 72 to USC for Fall 2014! Our students were also accepted to MIT, Stanford, Columbia, Yale, Purdue, NYU, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and more!

International student featured in International Educator magazine article on 2+2 transfer success

Received Export Achievement Award from the U.S. Dept. of Commerce in 2012

Find out more about our Transfer Agreements(pdf).

Foothill is now an
iTEP Test Center.
Instead of TOEFL/IELTS,
Take iTEP for admission.