Cherry Blossoms

Current International Students

Getting a Social Security Number

If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), you will need to apply for it, since U.S. federal law requires everyone employed in the U.S. to have an SSN.

You must file your application for an SSN immediately after being offered a job. There is no fee charged for an SSN application.

SSN Application Procedure

1. Gather the required application materials:

  • Follow steps 1-3 in Procedure Before Starting On-Campus Job: Without SSN and obtain two letters verifying your employment and valid F-1 status — one from your department/office and one from the International Student Office.
  • Current Foothill I-20, passport, visa and I-94 card (originals).

2. Apply for a Social Security Card in person at the following office:

Social Security Administration
700 East El Camino Real, Suite 350
Mountain View, CA 94040
Hours: 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m,. Monday–Friday




View Our eBrochure

ph default text

Questions?We're Here to Help!

International Student Programs Office


Administration Building 1900 Room 1933