Dual Capacity Programs
Stretch to Kindergarten
Stretch To Kindergarten (STK) is a tuition-free, parent participation kindergarten readiness, and supplemental educational program offered in spring and summer. The purpose of STK is to cultivate strong, enduring partnerships among families, schools and the community that gives low-income children the skills and support to successfully transition into Kindergarten. Priority consideration is given to children who have not had a quality preschool experience.
STK Program Highlights:
- In 2016, STK served 137 children and their families who were income eligible in the Los Altos School District (LASD), Mountain View Whisman School District (MVWSD), and Sunnyvale School District (SSD).
- STK is a Spring & Summer Program
- STK's curriculum follows developmentally appropriate practices, recognizing the individual within the context of family, culture and experience while setting challenging and achievable goals.
- The curricular framework is based on the Project Approach, an integrated, hands-on approach to learning in which the opportunity for in-depth exploration and examination of a topic deepens understanding and encourages thinking.
- Children's learning is dependent on the support of the adult through an interactive process of planning and implementation.
- The in-depth study of a topic integrates all domains of curriculum: social-emotional, language and literacy, English language development, math, science, art, music, motor development, etc.
- STK's curriculum includes a parent education component in which parents and/or primary caregivers participate in the classroom and attend
parenting discussions to build family engagement strategies, leadership and connections
to community resources.
How to Register Your Child?
- Priority enrollment will be given to Children without prior preschool registering in the LASD, SSD, and MVWSD and/or neighborhood students
- Income eligibiity meets Free and Reduced Meal's Guidelines
- Parents must participate in the program and attend Parenting Meetings
- Must be able to provide your own transportation
- Daily attendance required
Requirements for Application:
- Parents indicate interest as a part of the online Kindergarten Registration
- Parents will then be required to attend registration session to learn more about the program and complete enrollment forms.
Contact Carmen Ponce at (650) 949 - 7581 or email@example.com
We're Here to Help!
Family Engagement Institute
Student Resource Center, Building 5400 Room 5420