Dental Hygiene Baccalaureate
Tentative Start Date: 2018, Pending Program Approval
Rationale & Goals for Foothill College Bachelor’s Completion Degree in Dental Hygiene
The bachelor’s completion degree program will broaden the educational experiences of licensed dental hygienists (RDH or RDHAP) who have graduated from an accredited two-year community college dental hygiene program by providing an in depth curriculum, including, but not limited to: critical thinking, analysis, writing, communication, cultural sensitivity, researching, and reporting.
- The dental hygiene degree completion program will expand professional opportunities beyond the private dental office and promote career advancement in management, education, public health and research.
- The program will prepare dental hygienists to interact effectively with other health professionals in a competent, collaborative, and ethical manner.
- The BS-DH degree will require completion of a minimum of 180 quarter units (120 semester units), including general education course work in alignment with CSU or IGETC pattern general education.
Admission to the Dental Hygiene Program — Completion Track
(selective admission by application)
- The students in the completion track must have graduated with from a Commission on Dental Accreditation accredited dental hygiene program and are licensed dental hygienists (RDH).
- Students in the BS-DH completion track will take upper division coursework focused on developing communications and critical thinking skills necessary for the Bachelor of Science degree in Dental Hygiene.
- The BS-DH degree requires completion of one of the following general education patterns: CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC).
- Completion of the pre-program courses and general education do not guarantee admission to the dental hygiene program.
Preparation for the Major
- Graduation from an accredited dental hygiene program
- Transfer credit of dental hygiene course credit
- Licensed in good standing as a Registered Dental Hygienist
- Completion of CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
Bachelor of Science Degree Courses for Dental Hygiene – Completion Track
Proposed curriculum subject to change based on final approval.
The anticipated start date for the BS-DH completion track is 2018. An application will be posted online.
Upper division GE courses for BS degree in Dental Hygiene:
IDS 300- Research Methods, Statistics & Critical Thinking for Health Professions, 5 units
HLTH 300: Healthcare across the lifespan
Core courses for BS degree in Dental Hygiene – completion track
DH 350 A: Dental Hygiene Research and Capstone course I
DH 350 B: Dental Hygiene Research and Capstone course II
DH 350 C: Dental Hygiene Research and Capstone course III
DH 352: Health Communication & Multicultural Issues
DH 354: DH Healthcare Management
DH 326: Education theory, practice and administration
Dental Hygiene Bachelor of Science Degree Program Learning Outcomes
The Foothill College Bachelor of Science degree graduate will demonstrate their competence in their role as health professionals at the local, state, and national levels. The graduate will possess the ethics, values, skills, and knowledge integral to all aspects of the profession.
II. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
The Foothill College Bachelor of Science degree graduate will be competent in the performance and delivery of oral health promotion and disease prevention services in public health, private practice and alternative settings. The graduate will be able to exercise evidence based practice, critical thinking and communicate effectively in all professional employment settings.