Exam vs. Prerequisite Clearance Process
|Take an English Placement Test at the Testing & Assessment Center if you:||Complete the Admissions & Records Prerequisite Clearance Process if you have:|
Plan to enroll in a course with an English prerequisite
A college degree from an accredited U.S. college or university
Don't have any college coursework credit
Satisfied the prerequisite for English 1A (freshman level English) or higher at another U.S. college or university
Taken and earned a score of '3' or higher on the following AP courses in high school:
Taken the English Early Assessment Placement (EAP) in high school and you have received "standard exceeded" results
How to Clear a Prerequisite
To be cleared for a prerequisite, complete the prerequisite clearance process.
Unsure about your Foothill Placement Testing History?
If you have already taken an English placement test at Foothill College, your placement will be vaild for 365 days.
- Valid scores will be posted on your Student Tab of MyPortal.
English Accuplacer Score Transfer
- Foothill only accepts the raw scores of the Accuplacer Reading Composition and Sentence Skills test.
- Foothill does not accept placement test scores from CSUs or UCs.
- To transfer your Accuplacer Test Scores, please complete the Transfer of Scores process.
English Test Prep
Before scheduling an appointment:
- You must complete and submit the Foothill College Application for Admission
- Review English Assessment Test Format & Overview
- Become familar with Accuplacer computerized placement testing for English
- You will find pencils, scratch paper and ear plugs inside the testing lab
- Tests are untimed, but in general students take about an hour to complete
- On the day of your testing appointment, just bring your photo ID and Foothill student ID number
Results & Retest Policy
Expiration of Assessment Results
Assessment results do not expire. However, a student may choose to retest two (2) years from the last recorded placement test date if the student has not earned a D. F. NP, or I grade in the subject/course sequence in which they are seeking a new placement.
Students cannot retest in a subject if they have earned a D, F, NP, or I grade in the subject/course sequence in which they are seeking a new placement.
After taking a placement test at either Foothill or De Anza College, students may retake the English or Math placement tests one (1) time at either Foothill or De Anza College, not both, within a six (6) month period of the initial date of placement.
Challenges to placements should be directed to the appropriate Division Office.
For English & ESL, email Paul Starer, dean of Language Arts, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule an Appointment
Assessment Testing is available by appointment only.
All you need to bring to your appointment is 1) a photo ID and 2) your Foothill student ID number. Everything else (pencils, calculators, etc.) is provided for you.