- Home >
- Outreach: Summer Bridge Math
Summer Bridge Math Program
Every student is different, and math can be more of a challenge for some students. Many students arrive at Foothill and discover that they must take several pre-algebra courses before they are able to enroll in college-level math classes. Often, this may be because the student experiences math anxiety, didn’t score high marks on the math placement test, or may have a few gaps in their math knowledge. The Summer Bridge Math Program is an opportunity to work with students to improve placement testing scores by helping them master key math concepts. With this foundational knowledge they will be successful and earn good grades in math courses, including intermediate algebra and beyond.
The Foothill College Summer Bridge Math Program is funded in part through the Basic Skills Initiative Grant from the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office.
- Recent high school graduate and enrolling at Foothill College for the first time
- Never taken Foothill's placement math test
- Took Foothill's math placement test and results placed you in a lower math class (MATH 235, 230, 220, 217, 108, 105; NCBS 401A/B) but you believe that you're capable of doing well in higher-level math courses
Benefits of taking this seminar
- In two weeks will retain more math knowledge, remember math concepts and be better prepared to succeed in Foothill College math classes
- Review and improve math skills in an affordable seminar
- Prepare for the math placement test in a stimulating environment
- Be eligible for early registration for Fall Quarter 2013 classes (great perk because classes fill quickly and get first pick of courses)
Program Schedule 2014
The program will be offered twice this summer in August. Each session is two weeks long and meets Monday through Thursday.
SESSION 1 Aug 4 9:00 - 11:30 am Orientation /Pre-Test Aug 5 - 8 & Aug 11 - 13 9:00 - 11:30 am Math Instruction Aug 14 9:00 - 10:20 am Math Placement Test 10:30 am - 1:30 pm Fall Registration Kick-Off - guest speakers, raffle, lunch provided. You must be present to win. SESSION 2 Aug 18 9:00 - 11:30 am Orientation /Pre-Test Aug 19 - 22 & Aug 25 - 27 9:00 - 11:30 am Math Instruction Aug 28 9:00 - 10:20 am Math Placement Test 10:30 am - 1:30 pm Fall Registration Kick-Off - guest speakers, raffle, lunch provided. You must be present to win.
Sign up in 3 easy stepsStep 1:Get Student IdGet a student identification number (SID) by submitting Foothill's online Application for Admission at foothill.edu/admissions.php. There is no fee to apply. You'll then receive instructions by e-mail to activate your SID and MyPortal.fhda.edu account.Step 2:Contact Foothill College Representative
Contact the Foothill College representative listed below who will help you complete the registration process:
- Call Academic Services Coordinator Craig Gawlick at (650) 949-7240 or email@example.com.Step 3:Take the Math Placement TestTake the math placement test before the program begins. You can schedule an appointment at http://foothill.edu/placement. If you have questions, call the Assessment Center at (650) 949-7672.Be certain that you complete the registration process by June 30th. If you have additional questions, the following Foothill College representatives are available:
- Student-Athletes—Call Athletics Counselor Laurie Bertani at (650) 949-7164.
- Students with Disabilities—Call Disability Resource Center Counselor Jess Miller at (650) 949-7104.
- EOPS Students—Call or e-mail April Henderson at (650) 949-7206 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the brochure ( Register by June 30th)