Admission Guidelines
Having Problems with Admissions or Registration?

Complete the online form to get answer to issues or problems that you may have with the new Admissions and Registration System.
Foothill has an open-door admission policy for all high-school graduates and non-graduates who are 18 years of age or older. Students enrolled in the Freshman through Senior years of high school may attend Foothill College with written parental and school permission. Parental and school permission forms are available online or in the Admissions & Records Offices on both Foothill campuses.

Special admission procedures, such as additional testing and application forms, are required for admission to several career programs. Some of these programs begin only in the fall quarter. You must complete all special admission requirements in the preceding spring quarter.

Programs in this category include:
Residency Requirements
If you are an out-of-state student, you are considered a non-resident until you have satisfied current California residency requirements. This rule applies to visa-holding non-citizens eligible to establish residency. Non-resident tuition is required of all students in this category.

If you are an international student with an F-1 Visa, you may be eligible for admission only if you have completed the required special admission procedures. To request an International Student Application Packet, call the International Student Admissions Office, (650) 949-7293

Applying for Admission
If you are a new or former student, you must submit the Application for Admission by the quarterly deadline. We encourage you to complete the application, complete the assessment process and submit necessary transcripts as early as possible.

Students transferring to Foothill from another college are advised to submit transcripts from high schools and colleges previously attended.

If you plan to receive veterans benefits, apply for financial aid or earn a degree or certificate, you must submit transcripts. Request previous institutions to send your transcripts directly to the Foothill College Admissions & Records Office, 12345 El Monte Road, Los Altos Hills,
CA, 94022-4599.

Enrolled Student Classification
You are a matriculated student if you have filed an Application for Admission, enrolled at Foothill and have done one of the following:
  • Submitted high school and other transcripts;
  • Met with a Foothill College counselor, counseling associate or career advisor to examine educational opportunities;
  • Announced an intention to study for a degree or certificate;
  • Begun a series of introductory, general education or special courses; or
  • Begun a series of special courses leading to a certificate or degree.

Freshmen: Students with fewer than 45 units of college credit.
Sophomores: Students who have completed 45 or more units of college credit and have not received a degree.
Full-Time Students: Students carrying 12 or more units.

Many courses require the student to have completed prerequisites to enroll. These prerequisites are listed under each course description in the catalog and the Schedule of Classes.

Chemistry 1A, 1B, 10, English 1A, 1B, 110, 209, ESL 26, 25, 137, 146, 147, 156, 157, 166, 167, Math 2, 9, 10, 11A, 51, 101, 102, 105 and 200.

The college has the authority to drop you from any course if you have not met the necessary prerequisites.

Students who submit written evidence or evidence by performance of sufficient competence through previous training or experience may be permitted to enroll in a course without completing the listed prerequisites if authorized to do so by the instructor or counselor and by the chairman of the appropriate division.

Challenging Prerequisites
How To Clear a Prerequisite Hold
You can take the placement test for English, ESL, Math, or Chemistry. If you have coursework from another college, download the appropriate form and submit it with transcripts to the Counseling Office. To download the Academic Release of Hold(s) Agreement form: To look up what the prerequisites are in our online course catalog:

Open Course Policy
It is the policy of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District that, unless specifically exempted by statute or regulation, every course, course section or class reported for state aid, wherever offered and maintained by the district, shall be fully open to enrollment and participation by any person who has been admitted to the college and who meets such prerequisites as may be established pursuant to regulations contained in California Administrative Code Title V commencing with Section 55200.

Exceptions to Admissions & Registration Policies
To request an exception to a published policy, you must file an exception petition (PDF). This form is available online or in the Admissions & Records Offices on either campus.

General Program Requirements
All beginning freshmen must enroll in the CNSL 5: Introduction to College course, or demonstrate proof that they have completed an equivalent course. If you are eligible for ENGL 1A, you should complete this course by the end of the third quarter of enrollment; you may take a speech course first. If you are eligible for ENGL 110 or 209, you should complete these courses during the first or second quarter.

You may receive up to 10 quarter units of credit for each score of 5, 4 or 3 on College Entrance Board Advanced Placement Tests. Your Foothill transcript will show units but will not indicate grades. The Evaluation Office, located in Counseling/Building 8300, provides information on how the advanced placement scores are marked on transcripts and the equivalencies for the University of California and California State University.

You may receive up to nine quarter units for each of five general CLEP tests completed with a score of at least 500. Your Foothill transcript will show elective unit credit for each successful test score. These units may also be used to fulfill certain general education requirements.

If you want to transfer credit from an armed services school or other special institution, you may apply through a counselor. It’s possible these credits will be accepted toward the associate in arts or associate in science degree after you have successfully completed a minimum of 15 units at Foothill.

Unit Limitations
An average class load is 15 units per quarter. The maximum number of allowable units per quarter without a counselor’s approval is 21.5 units. If you intend to enroll in more than 21.5 units, you must obtain a counselor’s approval and submit a petition to the Academic Council. To complete the petition process, schedule a consultation with a Foothill counselor by calling (650) 949-7423. The maximum number of allowable units for Summer Session is 15 units, no exceptions are allowed.

Credit From Other Institutions
Foothill accepts credit from institutions accredited by one of the six regional accrediting associations or follows the recommendations of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.

Credit by Examination (Challenge)
Regularly enrolled students may be permitted to obtain credit by examination in subject matter fields in which they are especially qualified through training or experience, but for which credit or advanced placement has not been given. Unit credits for courses successfully challenged will not be awarded until students have successfully completed 15 units of additional work at Foothill College.

Challenge is limited to those courses recommended by the divisions and approved by the dean. There are special limitations for challenging foreign language courses, courses that depend on laboratory or activity experiences, or courses in a sequence. Students may not challenge a course at a lower level than one they have successfully completed in the same department. The examination may include written, oral, or skill tests, or a combination of all three, and will be sufficiently comprehensive to determine that the student has essentially the same knowledge and skills as a student who successfully completes the course. A student is not permitted to obtain credit by examination unless enrolled in the course and fully informed by the instructor of the requirements for successful completion. The grade received is entered on the student's permanent record.

No course may be challenged after the class has met for two weeks. Courses may not be challenged during Summer Session. Credit by examination may not be gained in a course that the student has failed. Units of credit received through this procedure may not apply toward the minimum of 24 resident units required at Foothill College for the associate in arts or associate in science degree. A maximum of 20 units of credit may be earned by examination.

Although the University of California and the California State Universities accept, within certain limitations, appropriate credits obtained by examination, there is no guarantee by Foothill College that other institutions will do so.

Petitions for credit by examination may be obtained from the student's counselor during the first week of classes, and the examination will normally be completed by the end of the second week. Units earned under credit by examination will be identified on your transcript.

High-School Completion at Foothill
Although Foothill College cannot grant a high school diploma, many high schools in the area recommend that students 19 years of age or older complete their high school requirements by taking college courses. A student who chooses to obtain a diploma in this way should obtain a statement from the principal or a counselor of the high school indicating:
  • The subject necessary for completion of the requirements for graduation and the number of quarter credits in each,
  • Suggested Foothill College courses that may satisfy these high school requirements,
  • The total number of quarter credits required, including electives,
  • Acceptance of credit for courses taken at Foothill.
Upon completion of the college courses, the student should request that the Foothill College registrar send a transcript of the college record to the high school. The diploma will be issued in accordance with the procedures of the high school.

All credit courses taken at Foothill count as college credit, whether or not the high school counts the coursework toward high school requirements.

Honors Institute Eligibility
Students with strong academic motivation and ability are offered special class sections taught by faculty selected for their special interest in working with honors students.

To learn more about the Honors Institute, please visit our web site.

Scholastic Honors
Highest Honors are awarded to graduating students who receive grade-point average of 4.0 in all community college work. High Honors are awarded to those with grade-point average of 3.5 or above in all community college work, and Honors are awarded to those whose grade-point average is between 3.3 and 3.5.

A student taking 12 or more units per quarter will be placed on the Dean's List if his quarter grade-point average is 3.5 (a "B+" average) or better. A part-time student who has acquired a cumulative grade-point average of 3.5 or more in at least 12 units and who has earned a 3.5 grade-point average in the last quarter's units is also eligible for the Dean's List.

In addition, students may sign up for the Honors Institute program. Among the features of the Honors Institute program are special courses that prepare students for transfer to top colleges and universities, discussions and projects that stimulate intellectual development, free tickets to cultural events, seminars, and a transcript notation of "Honors Scholar" for students completing seven of the designated honors courses with an A or B. For more information, please see the Honors Institute website.
Top of page February 27, 2017