You Pursue Excellence.
You Seek Challenges.
Give Yourself a Competitive Edge.
Join the Prestigious Foothill College Honors Institute.
Try An Honors Course Program!
Every quarter we will be giving non-honors students the opportunity to enroll
in an Honors course without meeting full requirments . If you're interested, please
contact us and we will tell you all about it.
* Dependent upon course availability and with completion of ESLL
26 or English 1A with a grade of B or better.
This Just In!
• Check out the Honors Research Symposium Blog
What We Offer -
- A dynamic educational curriculum. Honors isn't just about completing an extra assignment or two. Honors is about participating in stimulating discussions within a small group and with top-notch instructors who are experts in their field. It's about digging deeper, not skimming the surface. It's an experience you won't forget!
- Specialized courses, special focus seminars, exposure to exciting cultural opportunities, and transfer scholarship opportunities. You are in good hands with the Honors Institute. Our very own counselors, faculty and staff will work with you every step of the way.
- Increased chances of being accepted to UCLA's College of Letters and Sciences. Universities are looking for a few
outstanding students who do more than the minimum and actively pursue our honors students. We are one of only a
handful of northern California colleges participating in the prestigious UCLA T.A.P. (Transfer Alliance program).
Fact: 70-95% of TAP students are admitted to UCLA versus 14-20% of all other transfer applicants.
But don't just take our word. Here's what students are saying...
"...I believe that the Honors Institute is the heart and
soul of the scholastic experience for any dedicated student at
Foothill College. Without the Honors institute, I doubt that I
would be where I am, with practically a 4.0, a job as a Teacher's
Assistant, a position as the head of two clubs, and a new love
for learning and my future..."
Ellie Chambers (transferred to UC Berkeley)
"The Honors Institute is the best part of Foothill!"
Heidi Dunklegood (transferred to Mount Holyoke)
As a member of the Honors Institute, you can receive these benefits:
Outstanding faculty, selected for their special interest in working with Honors students
Discussions and projects that stimulate intellectual development
Opportunity to complete the Honors Scholar Program and become eligible for:
Priority admission consideration if applying to UCLA College of Letters and Science
$4000 or $7000 scholarship if transferring to CSU Stanislaus
Guaranteed admission to CSU East Bay and San Francisco State University
Priority admission consideration if applying to UC Irvine Honors Program; guaranteed housing
To qualify for the Honors Institute, students must satisfy each of the following requirements:
- Academic Performance.
- For continuing Foothill College students, demonstrate
a minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA in 10 or more units completed at Foothill College.
- For students with less than 10 units completed at
Foothill College, provide evidence of one of the following:
1. Minimum 3.5 cumulative high school GPA; or,
2. Minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA in 10 or more units completed
at another regionally accredited college or university.
- Writing Proficiency.
Honors courses typically require more writing than non-honors courses. Students are required to demonstrate the potential for successful completion of honors courses by providing evidence of one of the following:
- Foothill English Assessment Test results indicating eligibility for Honors ENGL 1AH; or,
- Completion of ENGL 1A with a grade of B or better.
- Personal Statement.
On a separate sheet, using 150-200 words, please describe your
interest in the Foothill College Honors Institute. Your statement
should include what you hope to gain from your participation in the
program as well as how you believe you will contribute to the program.
Because honors courses are typically writing intensive, this statement
should reflect appropriate writing skills. Remember that clear writing
is the result of clear thinking.
Learn how to calculate your Grade Point Average
PDF Print Version
HONORS Institute Course Schedule
Current and upcoming Honors course offerings:
*Schedule subject to change. Please check back for updates/changes or visit the online schedule
the lastest times and dates.
New courses are regularly added to the honors course list. Please check back often for updates
Foothill College Honors Institute
Bernie Day, Director or
Teresa De La Cruz, Program Assistant
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, CA 94022-4599
We are located in 1961.
Call us at: (650) 949-7638
Contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org