You Pursue Excellence.
You Seek Challenges.
Give Yourself a Competitive Edge.
Join the Prestigious Foothill College Honors Institute.
- Honors Institute Drop In Information Session: Wednesday, Sept. 21, from 2-3 p.m. in Honors Institute Room 1960
- Orientation for New Honors Students (Attend one session only)
Session 1: Friday, Sept. 23, from 1-3 p.m. in Toyon Room 2020
Session 2: Wednesday, Sept. 28, from 1-3 p.m. in Toyon Room 2020
- Fall Welcome — Honors Faculty and Student Coffee Drop-In: Monday, Sept. 26 & Tuesday, Sept. 27, from 8 a.m–2 p.m. noon in Building 1900, Room 1960-1
Workshop Schedule Fall 2016
- UCLA TAP & UC Irvine Info Session: Wednesday, Oct. 5 from 1-2:30 p.m. in Toyon Room 2020
- How to Apply to Selective Colleges: Wednesday, Oct. 26 from 1-2 p.m. in Toyon Room 2020
- Transfer Success - How to Be a Competitive Applicant: Wednesday, Nov. 2 from 1-2 p.m. in Toyon Room 2020
- Presenting Your Research at a Symposium: Wednesday, Nov. 16 from 1-2 p.m. in ADM 1943
Celebrity Forum 2016-17
- George Takei – Actor and activist (Oct. 13 & 14)
- Brian Greene – String theorist and author (Nov. 17 & 18)
- Jay Leno – Comedian and former host of “The Tonight Show” (Jan. 19 & 20)
- Fareed Zakaria – CNN host and weekly columnist (Feb. 28 & March 1)
- Julia Gillard – First female Prime Minister of Australia (April 6 & 7)
- Mitch Albom – Best selling author, sports journalist, screenwriter and musician (April 27 & 28)
- Scott Kelly – Veteran astronaut and yearlong Space Station resident (May 18 & 19)
What We Offer
- A dynamic educational curriculum. Honors isn't just about completing an extra assignment or two. Honors is about participating in stimulating discussions within a small group and with top-notch instructors who are experts in their field. It's about digging deeper, not skimming the surface. It's an experience you won't forget!
- Specialized courses, special focus seminars, exposure to exciting cultural opportunities, and transfer scholarship opportunities. You are in good hands with the Honors Institute. Our very own counselors, faculty and staff will work with you every step of the way.
- Increased chances of being accepted to UCLA's College of Letters and Sciences. Universities are looking for a few
outstanding students who do more than the minimum and actively pursue our honors students. We are one of only a
handful of northern California colleges participating in the prestigious UCLA T.A.P. (Transfer Alliance program).
Fact: 70-95% of TAP students are admitted to UCLA versus 14-20% of all other transfer applicants.
But don't just take our word. Here's what students are saying...
"...I believe that the Honors Institute is the heart and
soul of the scholastic experience for any dedicated student at
Foothill College. Without the Honors institute, I doubt that I
would be where I am, with practically a 4.0, a job as a Teacher's
Assistant, a position as the head of two clubs, and a new love
for learning and my future..."
Ellie Chambers (transferred to UC Berkeley)
"The Honors Institute is the best part of Foothill!"
Heidi Dunklegood (transferred to Mount Holyoke)
As a member of the Honors Institute, you can receive these benefits:
- Outstanding faculty, selected for their special interest in working with Honors students
- Discussions and projects that stimulate intellectual development
- Honors Counselor
Plus, you'll have the opportunity to complete the Honors Scholar Program and become eligible for:
- Priority admission consideration if applying to UCLA College of Letters and Science
- $4000 or $7000 scholarship if transferring to CSU Stanislaus
- Guaranteed admission to CSU East Bay and San Francisco State University
- Priority admission consideration if applying to UC Irvine Honors Program; guaranteed housing
Honors Research Events
Each year the Bay Honors Consortium hosts its annual Honors Research Symposium alternating at either Stanford or UC Berkeley. The symposium provides an opportunity for community college honors students to present their original research and to have their work published in The Journal of the Bay Honors Consortium.
To qualify for the Honors Institute, students must satisfy each of the following requirements:
- Academic Performance.
- For continuing Foothill College students, demonstrate
a minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA in 10 or more units completed at Foothill College.
- For students with less than 10 units completed at
Foothill College, provide evidence of one of the following:
1. Minimum 3.5 cumulative high school GPA; or,
2. Minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA in 10 or more units completed
at another regionally accredited college or university.
- Writing Proficiency.
Honors courses typically require more writing than non-honors courses. Students are required to demonstrate the potential for successful completion of honors courses by providing evidence of one of the following:
- Foothill English Assessment Test results indicating eligibility for Honors ENGL 1AH; or,
- Completion of ENGL 1A or ENGL 1S & 1T or equivalent with a grade B or better.
- Personal Statement.
On a separate sheet, using 150-200 words, please describe your
interest in the Foothill College Honors Institute. Your statement
should include what you hope to gain from your participation in the
program as well as how you believe you will contribute to the program.
Because honors courses are typically writing intensive, this statement
should reflect appropriate writing skills. Remember that clear writing
is the result of clear thinking.
Try An Honors Course Program!
Every quarter we will be giving non-honors students the opportunity to enroll
in an Honors course without meeting full requirments . If you're interested, please
contact us and we will tell you all about it.
* Dependent upon course availability and with completion of ESLL
26 or English 1A with a grade of B or better.
First, refer to our eligibility requirements to ensure you are eligible to join our program. If you meet all the requirements, skip to the next step. If you are unsure, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine your eligibility.
*Be sure to check out our Try An Honors Program Application if you do not meet the Honors Institute Requirements (located to the left of webpage under "Online Forms").
Submit a completed Honors Institute Application (located to the left of the webpage under "Online Forms"). Your application can be submitted via email, mail, or by dropping it off in person to us or our "drop box" located at the Foothill Campus in building 1900, room 1961.
Tips for completing application:
- Be prepared to upload proof of your eligibility in PDF format if necessary
- Be sure to fill out both sides of your application and sign it
- You can upload your Personal Statement as an attachment or embed it into your email
Please allow 5-7 business days for your application to be reviewed. Note: we are closed the month of August. Once reviewed, you will receive an email either welcoming you into the program or explaining what requirements were not met.
Applications for Foothill's Honors Institute are accepted on a rolling basis. Please note that you must be accepted to the program before you can enroll in an honors class.
- The Honors Institute will be closed July 15 – August 16.
- Applications received after 2:30pm on Thursday, July 14 will not be processed until August 17.
Learn how to calculate your Grade Point Average
Fall 2016 PDF Print Version
HONORS Institute Course Schedule
Current and upcoming Honors course offerings:
*Schedule subject to change. Please check back for updates/changes or visit the online schedule
the lastest times and dates.
New courses are regularly added to the honors course list. Please check back often for updates
In addition to the courses above, the following will be offered in Barcelona, Spain: ENGL 1AH
, ENGL 1BH
, ENGL 1CH
Foothill College Honors Institute
Bernie Day, Director or
Rachel Solvason, Program Assistant
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, CA 94022-4599
We are located in 1961.
Call us at: (650) 949-7638
Contact us by email: email@example.com