ESLL (English for Second Language Learners)
Para espanol, pulse aqui
The ESLL Department at Foothill College offers a variety of courses at six levels
for non-native speakers of English, both resident and international students
(international students have F-1 visas). Our highest-level composition course
meets the California State University General Education Requirements for Communication
in the English Language. Click on ESLL Classes and Levels
to see a list of our classes,
levels and descriptions. Click on course schedule
to see the days and times the
classes are offered.
Our faculty members hold Master's Degrees in Teaching English as a Second Language
and have had extensive teaching experience both in the United States and abroad.
Click on ESLL Faculty
to see a list of instructors and their biographies.
The student body is diverse. There is no dominant language group, so students
will be in classes with others from a number of different countries.
Students have access to a number of student services, including the library
. U.S. citizens and
eligible non-citizens may receive financial aid. For information about eligibility and application procedures,
click on Financial Aid
and Economic Opportunity Program.
Important Dates for the 2013-2014 Academic Year
Fall Quarter: September 23 - December 13, 2013
Priority registration for VA and Foster youth begins July 17.
Early registration for DRC, EOPS and Special programs begins July 18.
Early registration for Continuing students (depends upon number of units completed) begins July 22.
New students registration begins July 22.
Former students registration begins July 26.
High school students registration begins July 29.
The first day of Fall classes is September 23, 2013.
Winter Quarter: January 6 - March 28, 2014
Refer to http://www.foothill.edu/reg/winter14.php
for important dates.
The first day of Winter classes is January 6, 2014.
Spring Quarter: April 7 - June 27, 2014
Refer to http://www.foothill.edu/reg/spring14.php
for important dates.
The first day of Spring classes is April 7, 2014.
Foothill College orientation sessions are held at various times throughout the
academic year. Please check with Admissions and Records or Counseling for future dates and times.
Two Ways to Complete an Application:
- Apply online. From http://www.foothill.edu/admissions.php click on Apply for admission.
Call (650) 949-7325 option 8 to speak with an Admissions and Records Assistant for internet registration assistance.
- Apply in person by using a computer at the Foothill College Admissions and
Records office. Ask for an Admissions and Records Assistant for help with the online application if needed.
Steps to Enroll in ESLL Classes:
- Complete an online application. From http://www.foothill.edu/admissions.php
click on Apply for Admission.
- Obtain a Campuswide Identification Number (CWID).
- Take a placement test.
- To schedule a test, click on http://www.foothill.edu/placement/index.php.
- Click on the ESLL button.
- Click on the Schedule an Appointment box at the top of the new page.
- Click on the Choose Exam box.
- Select either International Student Placement Testing or Placement Testing.
- Select English as a Second Language (ESL).
- Choose the date and time offered.
- Complete all the information requested by the Placement Testing Office and follow all instructions.
- Take the assessment test. Note: The placement test uses a computer. It has three parts:
grammar, listening and reading. Some students may also take the writing part. This
test will place you in a level in the ESLL Program. To read a description of the
levels and classes, click on the word Level here.
- If you have questions call (650) 949-7230 or go to room 8213.
- You will be given your test score the day of the test.
- See a counselor.
- Register for classes. From http://www.foothill.edu/admissions.php click
on Register for classes.
- Enter your CWID and Password, click on Login.
- Click on the Registration tab.
- If you are having difficulty, directly under Registration Tools
next to the light bulb. click on the Student Registration Guide for help.
Top of page