Dental Hygiene Patient Information
Additional Contact Information
If you have questions regarding course requirements, you may contact:
The Foothill College Dental Hygiene Clinic provides patient services under the supervision of a licensed dentist and registered dental hygiene instructors, as a learning experience for the students participating in the Dental Hygiene Program. Because services are performed by students, your appointment will demand more time than in a private dental office. You will receive thorough and complete care as instructors evaluate all procedures, with support documentation for your particular dental hygiene needs. Student operators receive a grade for each appointment.
- Your first appointment will be a limited examination appointment approximately for 1 hour. A thorough health/dental history and a limited soft/hard tissue exam will be performed at this time. If dental x-rays are necessary for proper treatment, they may also be taken at this appointment; or if available, please bring your x-rays with you. At the end of the examination appointment you will be advised of your treatment needs, approximate number of appointments and fees. You will then be reappointed with a student operator for your care.
- Expect to have at least 2 to 4 appointments or more and each appointment is typically 3 to 4 hours depending upon your treatment needs and the students' educational level in the two year Dental Hygiene Program.
Our clinic does not provide
restorative dentistry (fillings), oral surgery, periodontal surgery or orthodontics. You will be referred to your own private dentist for follow-up care. If you do not have a dentist, the directory of community dental resources will be given to you upon completion of treatment.
Dental X-rays will be taken as necessary and as appropriate for dental hygiene assessments, dental examinations, diagnosis, consultation, and treatment. In certain cases, treatment in the Foothill College Dental Hygiene Clinic will be refused without current x-rays present.
MEDICALLY COMPROMISED PATIENTS
Patients with a medical or dental condition that precludes proper treatment may not be acceptable to our clinic facility. The initial examination appointment will identify conditions which may warrant referral to a medical doctor or a dentist. Please bring a list of all current medications. The following are conditions of patient acceptability for treatment in the Dental Hygiene Clinic:
- Free from any medical or dental condition that would make treatment hazardous to patient or operator.
- Oral conditions are considered acceptable for student learning.
- Patient interest in learning preventive oral hygiene techniques.
- Patient cooperation in keeping all clinic appointments on time.
NOTE: The clinic supervisor reserves the right at any time to refuse or discontinue treatment when indicated.
KEEPING YOUR APPOINTMENTS CANCELLATION POLICY
Patients are required to be on time for their appointments. If cancellation of your appointment is necessary, 24-hours notice within Monday through Friday campus week
is required to allow your student adequate time to refill the empty appointment time. The student's final grade is based on the number of patients completed. A total of TWO cancellations without 24 hours notice, TWO missed appointments, or repeated unsuccessful attempts to arrange for an appointment may be cause to discontinue a patient from further treatment in the Dental Hygiene Clinic.
MINORS - UNDER AGE 18
Children under three years of age must be mature enough for clinical care. All children must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, who must remain in the clinical facility during patient care. A consent form for treatment must be signed by parent or legal guardian before treatment is rendered for children under 18 years of age.
Payment is due at the time of service and is payable by cash or check only. Denti-Cal, credit, debit card or insurance cards are not accepted. All fees are subject to change without notice. Foothill students can get free dental hygiene services if the student body fee is paid off for the current quarter.
* Patient who has Medi-Cal pays only $15 for a teeth cleaning but still pays full fee for x-rays.
|Full Mouth X-Rays
|Periapical (Single film)
9:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m. (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday)
1:30 – 4:30 p.m. (Tuesday)
Our hours may vary from quarter to quarter. The clinic is closed during all legal and school holidays and the entire month of August. Call (650) 949-7335 to schedule for the appointment.
12345 El Monte Road, Bldg 5300, Room 5312, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022
FOOTHILL COLLEGE DIRECTIONS, PARKING & CAMPUS MAP
Foothill College is located in Los Altos Hills south of Palo Alto and north of San Jose. From
Interstate 280, exit El Monte Road & travel west. Foothill College is on the right about 100 yards
west of the freeway. The road around the campus is one-way. Parking is available in all the student
lots. Parking lots 5 or 6 are closest to the clinic. One-day parking permits are available for
$3.00 (in quarters), in the red machines located on the light posts in each parking lot; however
we do have free parking permits in the Clinic. The dental hygiene clinic is located in room
is in the 5300 building. Campus Map
top of page