What is Financial Aid

Financial aid is money that is given, paid or loaned to you to help pay for your college or vocational training. There are several types of financial aid for college students:

Board of Governors Waiver (BOGW)

California residents and AB 540 students who meet eligibility requirements may apply for this waiver of Foothill College course enrollment fees and 50% of quarterly parking permit for Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring Quarters.


  1. Pell Grant: Undergraduate need-based grant provided, which is determined by a student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and enrollment Status.
  2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): A supplemental grant provided to students with exceptional financial need. Generally provided to students who have qualified for the Pell Grant and have a zero EFC.
  3. Cal Grant: Grants provided to students who are California residents, who have met the basic requirements for Federal financial aid, demonstrate financial need and meet the minimum GPA requirements.
  4. Chafee Grant: This grant program is offered to qualified youth aging out of foster care programs.
  5. Full Time- Student Success Grant: This grant is offered to Cal Grant recipients who enroll full time.

Work Study/Student Employment

As a Foothill College student, you may be eligible to participate in work-study employment. You can earn money for your education. Off-campus community service work opportunities are provided through the Federal Work-Study Program. On- and off-campus work-study employment assignments are coordinated by the Financial Aid Office.


Scholarships are awards that are based on students' merit, need or other criteria. These funds do not require repayment.


Loans are borrowed from a lending institution. You are required to repay the loan amount and interest fees.

What is a loan? (FATV Video)

What types of Federal Direct Student Loans are available? (FATV Video)

Top of page July 21, 2016